los ángeles

los ángeles
donde he perdido, ganado y amado...

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Humidity



It is there
or it is not.
When it is,
my nostalgia is triggered,
and I am transported
to dusty brick homes, 
on dirt roads
with the thick scent
occupying my soul. 

No matter where I am:
DC, San Cristóbal, NY, Ixtepec,
Miami, Playa del Carmen, Poptún,
when the humidity reaches
my nostrils,
I am again in Tepic, Nayarit.

Memories of moist sunrise, waking to
neighbors in my Tia’s living room tiendita,
“¡Quiero!” they’d shout.
I’d turn in the damp sheets.
Muffled voices in the kitchen,
the clinging of dishes, and the fan’s soft
breeze, ease me into the waking hours. 

Soon, the neighbors are sweeping their
slice of the sidewalk,
men are loading up their Nacho Libre tricycles,
with merchandise,
my uncle paces back and forth near my bed,
judging my lazy yanqui-ass, for still being asleep,
at 7am. 

As the humid day continues,
and the unforgiving, scorching summer sun,
shines angrily on our walk, along uneven sidewalks
and stone road,
the human mass on the bus,
radiates, moisture. 
Pasamos vendedores de gelatinas,
elotes, pepinos.
Nos vamos a la neveria, a comprar bolas de limón o de fresa. 
Cuando comienza la lluvia veranal,
nos subimos en un taxi,
las ventanas, medias abiertas,
nubladas por la humedad.

La humedad, simplemente
pertenece a un rincón de mi memoria,
que se enlace con otro mundo, otra civilización,
otra realidad, otra epoca.

And I’m not talking about damp.
I’m not talking about Seattle, or San Sebastian,
or San Francisco. I’m talking about tropical humidity. 

When it is not humid,
I am in L.A., or somewhere in California,
or Madrid, or London, or Tel Aviv. 
My feet are on the ground.  I’m on the topside world.
I am working, or mothering, or speaking,
doing some kind of hustling. 

This morning,
I was lakeside.
The sun rising,
the mist crawling across the water,
the humidity, cradling my heart,
re-membering my connection,
to the earth, to humans doing their work,
with their own hands, to people caring for
their patch of the sidewalk,
to small treats, like a cut up cucumber,
or a corn on the cob, or handmade ice cream.
And my soul
was home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment