los ángeles

los ángeles
donde he perdido, ganado y amado...

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Bag with Cherry Print


He’s devoted his life,
to collecting the past,
antiques in every corner
of his house.
Drink out of antiques,
read out-of-print books,
use antique appliances,
framed antique art,
makes his walls worth
hundreds of thousands. 

Ironically,
the past haunts him,
he wants to escape,
the memories,
of abandonement, violence,
loss, death, racism, and the wonder
and confusion of a six-year old,
en la frontera, then travelling
around the country in migrant camps. 

When I sold my house
and moved into my condominium,
he cried.
“Apartments are dangerous,” he said,
wiping tears and sweat from his face,
“you don’t know who lives there, and
you see terrible things. I don’t want
the boys to experience that.”
“But it’s a condo Dad,” as I thought
of my underground parking, central AC,
pool and gym. 
“It’s dangerous m’ija, it’s dangerous.
You don’t know the things I’ve seen,
where so many people live together.”

This weekend, before I left,
he brought me this heavy antique tray,
inlayed with abalone, with ornate handles. 
I will add this to my collection of items
he has gifted me in the last year. 
I put on my lipstick, fix my hair, put
on my designer sunglasses, and get ready to
leave. 
He walks toward me,
big, ole’ white grocery bag
with a cherry print in hand,
and starts to put the tray in.  
“Dad, I’ll just carry the tray
on the train like that.”
“No, no. You need something to carry it in.”
“No really. It’s cramping my style.  Look how
sharp I look and you want me to carry this
ugly bag with a cherry print? The tray is pretty.
It looks cool just like that.”

He wouldn’t have any of it.
I got in his truck
and put the bag on my lap,
and as I sat on the bench,
waiting for the train,
I discreetly took the tray out
of the bag,
folded the cherry bag
and put it
in my backpack.  

No comments:

Post a Comment