los ángeles

los ángeles
donde he perdido, ganado y amado...

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Dedication on KRLA


When I was 22,
a best friend was murdered. 
On the one year anniversary of his death,
I called KRLA and the DJ, Huggy Boy, answered.
He coached me on recording my dedication. 
I started,
“This message is for Alex.
I’m sorry you were taken from us…”
“Wait, wait, wait,” Huggy Boy interrupted me.
“When we record your message,
make no reference to death or jail.
You can say, “I miss you,” or something
along those lines. 
Otherwise, everyone hears that and
says that Mexicans are just running around
committing crime and killing each other.
So let’s try recording again.”
Slowly, stunned, I spoke,
"This message is for Alex.
I miss you and I wish you were here." 


No comments:

Post a Comment