los ángeles

los ángeles
donde he perdido, ganado y amado...

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Not Normal



Part of post-traumatic stress disorder
is that you will tell anyone who will listen, 
about your traumatic experiences, 
often, at very inappropriate moments.  
It is also not realizing
that your trauma
is rare
and that you scare the shit out of people
when you talk about it. 

For decades, 
I would mention my experiences with
executions
sexual violence
starvation
homelessness
suicide
foster care
physical violence
emotional neglect
being an orphan
alcoholism
gang violence
no interest in school
imprisonement
teen pregnancy
poverty
loss
loss
loss
loss
loss…

And I didn’t catch when the person listening
would, 
tense up
lose eye contact
lose the color in their face
be on the verge of tears
develop an expression of terror, 
or confusion, or disbelief, 
or empathy, or sympathy, or total denial, 
that they would know someone, 
that this shit has happened to. 

Today, 
I am an educator, 
have a graduate degree, 
am the healthy mother, 
of two incredibly intelligent and thriving boys, 
and the wife, of a soulfully stable and devoted
Chicano husband, 
and I am a 
contributive community member and homeowner, 
and an active member of my Buddhist organization, 
and a healer, 
and supporter of women and youth, 
and a poet, 
and a good listener.  
My community mourns
when I share my stories, 
about my childhood and adolescence.  

Believe it or not, 
it took me a long time to understand, 
that what I’ve survived, 
is not normal. 
I’ve also learned 
that most people cannot relate, 
and I actually hurt them, 
when I share my stories.  
So now, I only talk about it, 
with folks 
who can bare witness, 
without it breaking them.  
Otherwise, I keep it to myself. 
When I meet a fellow survivor, 
I let them know, 
that I know, 
and I make a coffee date with them, 
to share, 
our stories, 
of horror, 
and healing. 





     

No comments:

Post a Comment